DOCTORATE IN MEDICAL SCIENCES
Degree: Doctorate in Medical Sciences
Duration: Six academic semesters
Director: Dr. Carlos Manterola D.
Tel: (56) (45) 2325760
Fax: (56) (45) 2325761
To train high level professionals, with critical spirit, who are able to lead teams of scientific investigation and to work in an area of expertise with solvency and creativity; In order to develop research in the area of Medical Sciences. In addition, providing them facilities for further studies in the field, both in the academic exercise and the production of new knowledge or the solutions of priority problems.
Another objective of the Program is to deepen the knowledge in the different areas of Medical Sciences, so that the graduates will be able to investigate and practice university teaching. Secondly, the goal is to train students to propose and develop scientific and technological research projects applying an integral approach in the planning, execution and direction of high quality research in the different disciplines that apply to the field of medicine. Furthermore, the focus is on fostering the development of medical disciplines, through the process of research aimed at generating theoretical and methodological innovations. The objective is to promote the professional performance with valedictory, creative and innovative sense, developing an ethical and responsible position in front of the scientific knowledge; and to develop a constant scientific activity with the participation of teachers and students in order to enhance the critical group of professional in the national environment.
Graduate profileThe graduate of the Doctoral Program in Medical Sciences will have the capacity to develop independent, original and creative research; In order to form a trained human resource to know how to conduct disciplinary research; forming research teams, leading processes; as well as appropriately occupying the spaces necessary to carry out high-level clinical research. In this way, it is expected that at the end of their studies, graduates of the Program will be able to perform research and teaching functions, and multicenter and collaborative research in national and international higher education centers; As well as to propose and execute scientific research projects.
To apply for admission to the Program, the applicant must be in possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the disciplinary field of medical and similar sciences; With the exception of those cases in which the application is covered by an international agreement or treaty signed by Chile.
The applicant must submit the following documents:
• Reasoned request for admission to the Program.
• Detailed and up-to-date Curriculum.
• Previous academic experience (certificate of grades, participation in academic events and copy of publications).
• Letter of recommendation of two academics, out of which one must be from the University where the applicant obtained her/his academic degree or where she/he works currently.
• Reference of the financial resources available for the duration of the Program.
• Birth certificate.
• Authorization of the current institution.
This documentation will be evaluated according to an ad-hoc guideline, which includes a personal interview. The interview will be conducted by the Program Director and 2 faculty members.
Description of studies
The Program consists of 87 credits: 62 from subjects and 25 of Thesis.
The first semester
• Foundations of medical sciences I
• Foundations for clinical research I
• Biostatistics I
• Propedeutics for the formulation of projects and presentation of results
• Foundations of medical science II
• Foundations for clinical research II
• Biostatistics II
• Qualitative analysis of biomedical literature
• Elective subject I
• External medical practice
• Thesis project
• Experimentation with biological material
• Elective subject II
• Qualification exam
• Doctoral thesis
• Doctoral thesis
• Doctoral Thesis
• Biology of reproduction
• Molecular biology
• Diseases of the digestive system, with special emphasis on gastric and hepatobiliary esophagus pathology
• Research methodology
• Statistical modeling
• Maxillofacial pathology
• Systematic reviews of the literature